- Benny Friedman's Profile at ProFootball Hall of Famers
- Lou Molinaro's Reminiscenses of Cedarhurst Speedway
- Himes Museum of Motor Racing Nostalgia
- Bert Moser's baseball experiences at the Stripp's School of Baseball
- The Story of the Five Towns (p.64) on HeritageQuest database (requires H-WPL card login)
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Cedarhurst Municipal Stadium
The Stadium was located near the intersection of Peninsula Boulevard and Rockaway Turnpike, on the site of today's Lawrence Senior High School. It was built by the Village of Cedarhurst with workers furnished by the WPA in 1937. Between 1937 and 1941, it hosted minor league and semi-professional football teams with names like the Cedarhurst Giants, Wolverines (a nod to Friedman's former team), All-Stars, Gaels and Spartans. They played the New York Football Yankees and an all-black team, the Brown Bombers as well as teams from Valley Stream, Hicksville, Queens, Brooklyn, Connecticut, New Jersey and beyond.