The new clubhouse, built closer to the shore, was an adaptation of Dutch Colonial style designed by Ralph C. Lynch in keeping with the architecture already existent in Woodmere. Dedicated in 1912, the building, built at a cost of $18,000 featured a first floor of exterior stucco with massive pillars extending the width of the building and a second story of painted white shingles.
The golf course soon surpassed the tennis club in popularity and became a major venue for tournaments.
According to the Club's web site:
Without questions, the fourth hole was the center-piece of the old course. It was a par-4 of about 400 yards, with a 20-foot-high cross bunker in the drive zone. Beyond the bunker, the fairway sloped right, and the three-tiered green featured a "valley of sin" through the middle, with out of bounds close to the right side. The club offered a $500 prize to anyone who could carry the bunker off the tee and stay in the fairway!
The Woodmere caddies of 1925 were trailblazers of sorts, being the first in the Met area to carry with them on the course envelopes filled with grass seed to plant wherever divots were taken.
The Woodmere golf course underwent a major facelift in 1947, when the club bought a large parcel of land from the Rockaway Hunting Club. The land was the former site of several golf holes which the latter club had discarded in 1939. Although Woodmere rejuvenated those holes for a short time, in 1949 Robert Trent Jones was commissioned to build an entirely new back nine. That land had been purchase outright from the White family that same year.
A new seventeenth hole was built in 1952, again the direct result of a (smaller) land purchase from Rockaway Hunting. And the greenside bunkering, perhaps the distinguishing feature of the course, was remodeled in 1986-1987 by architect Brian Silva.
- History of the Woodmere Club (from www.woodmereclub.com)
- Gala celebrates Woodmere Club's 100th Birthday (Nassau Herald, September 20, 2012)
- "Woodmere Club Celebrates 100th Anniversary," Five Towns Patch, June 4, 2012.
- "Woodmere Club Celebrates its 100th Anniversary," Newsday, April 18, 2012.
- Woodmere Readies for Centennial, CyberGolf,
- Woodmere Club to be honored at MGA Awards dinner (June 12, 2012)